Vin de Pays d'Oc
55% Cabernet Sauvignon 45% Merlot
Jean-Claude Mas, independent winemaker, fourth generation grape grower, first generation winemaker and owner of Domaines Paul Mas, is a leader in fine winemaking in the Languedoc region of the South of France. Since taking the helm of the family winery in 2000, he has prioritized sourcing the highest quality grapes from twelve privately owned estates and premier growers in the Languedoc to make wines of authenticity and refinement. The result is a collection of magnificently charming wines that burst forward with the warmth and stunning beauty of the Languedoc. A witty nod to the popular term for a Frenchman, Jean-Claude has embraced the stereotype to showcase the outstanding value and style of Languedoc winemaking. Arrogant Frog is made in the Old World but will appeal to New World palates with fresh, bright fruit and varietal character in range of styles. The Cabernet Sauvignon vines are 16 to 31 years old and planted on clay, limestone, and gravel soils. The Merlot vines are 14 to 33 years old and planted on deep clay and limestone. The vineyards are managed with total respect to the environment.WINEMAKING & VINTAGE NOTES
Each grape variety is vinified separately. Skin contact at 10 °C for 3 days prior to 6 days fermentation at 24/26°C with daily pumping over followed by a 9 day maceration for the Cabernet and 8 for the Merlot under temperature control (24°C maximum). The “assemblage” is made in November before putting the wine in barrels. 25% of the blend is aged in new oak barrel for 4 months. The other 75% are matured in stainless steel vats. After taking the wine off the barrels it is aged for a further 2 months in vats prior to bottling.TASTING NOTES
Deep ruby color. Aromas of complex scents of ripe black berries with notes of black currant leaf and spicy notes such as licorice and vanilla. Well balanced wine with smooth tannins, a lengthy finish marked by plum notes. Ideal with red meats, barbecue, and hard cheeses.