Download Complete Winemaker Notes

L’Avenir estate was founded by Mauritian-born, Marc Wiehe, in 1992. In tribute to the celebrated terroir of the historical Stellenbosch
wine region, L’Avenir focuses on producing elegant wines which showcase their unique setting. We focus on the two varietals which
form the foundation stone of the South African wine industry – tipping our hat to the heritage of Chenin Blanc while embracing the innovation inherent in Pinotage. Despite L’Avenir Estate only having been established in 1992, our
soils have been under vine since the beginning of the Stellenbosch wine region. The majority of our vineyards have reached full maturity,
resulting in naturally limited yields of the highest quality grapes. We keep our focus on the vineyards, in order to produce premium quality
grapes. Based at the foothills of the Simonsberg mountain range within an area referred to as the “Golden Triangle” of wine. Our soil types are varied and include Glenrosa, which is considered to be one of the Cape’s best soil configurations for the vine. A vein of disintegrated shale, which is particularly suited to Pinotage vines, runs through the property. The farm lies in a cleft in the land, so we have slopes that face in every direction, creating a natural diversity of styles. Driven by
their terroir and enhanced by international collaboration, our wines showcase the best of both the New & Old World.

Production Area
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Grape Varieties
100% Chenin Blanc

Vinification
A vintage where the Chenin Blanc vines prospered under ripening conditions that allowed a healthy delivery of grapes to the cellar. Grapes were harvested a month earlier than normal, thus this
abnormal occurrence led to very healthy grapes and the earliest harvest in 50 years for the industry. Fermentation lasted 18 days with skin contact maceration limited to 5 hours. No malolactic fermentation.
60% in stainless steel tanks on healthy fine lees while performing battonage and lees stirring on a regular basis. The other 40% is
racked in 1st to 3rd use French oak barrels for 6-9 months.

Color
A crisp pale straw yellow.

Bouquet
Intense fruit aromas of ripe pineapple
and melon, accented by subtle honey and toasted almonds.

Taste
The palate is full and rich with a complex roundness and refreshing acidity that creates a memorable and elegant finish, with a slight minerality to the end.

Alcohol
14%

 

Back To L'Avenir

©2017 Esprit Du Vin | Email: contact@edvwines.com | Terms & Conditions | Site Map | Employees
%>