Download Complete Winemaker Notes
Le Nozay is a 17th century small château, close to the village of Sainte Gemme-en-Sancerrois, north of Sancerre. This property, at one time, belonged to Marguerite de Bonnemaison (Dec.1853-July 1891). De Benoist family acquired it at the end of the 19th century. In 1961,the land around Sainte Gemme was granted "Appellation d'Origine Contrôlée" status for Sancerre wine. In 1970, le Baron Philippe de Benoist and his wife Marie-Hélène moved to Le Nozay, and the château became "Le Domaine du Nozay". Philippe and Marie-Hélène were determined to create a "vignoble d'exception" from scratch and started to grow the first hectare of "Sauvignon Blanc”, king variety in Sancerre. From 1971 until today the property was expanded to 15 hectares.